Who better to complete “Back-to-School Week,” than the reigning queen B of making school clothing look so good? It’s Blair Waldorf again, sporting an adorable navy blue pencil skirt, white silk blouse, and a matching short tie, complete with a pearl tie tack. Her accessories are what really make the outfit pop – a red belted headband (of course, it’s Blair, after all) with a matching bag, red and white slingbacks, a silk scarf and a layered pearl bracelet. Her true love, Chuck Bass, certainly is her complement in an all-American colored blazer and tie, too. These two certainly make us excited for going back to school!
Since it’s “Back-to-School Week” here at theSkinnyStiletto, we’re teaming up with DressFirst.com to bring you TV’s 10 Best Homecoming Dresses on this “Fancy Friday,” and how you can find your own similar version!
1. Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell), Veronica Mars While Veronica is usually busy solving cases rather than involving herself in regular high school activities, both aspects of her life collide in this episode. The precocious pint-size blonde looks adorable in her strapless scarlet cocktail dress, while she’s having a flashback to the previous year’s homecoming. Veronica decided to skip skinny dipping with her best friend, Lilly, who has since mysteriously died. You can have your own deep red dress adorned with a similar flower ruffle at the waist with this sweetheart sheath.
2. Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), The Vampire Diaries This show’s leading lady, Elena Gilbert, played by Nina Dobrev, stuns in anything she puts on. For her everyday look, the costumers dress her like an average teen in skinny jeans, black boots, and light-knit Henley tees, but when they decide to have a ball, they pull out all of the stops to show off her true beauty! Here, she sported a layered ruffled, gunmetal grey cocktail dress by Dalia MacPhee, a black pea coat, and nude pumps. It’s both edgy and sophisticated, just like Dobrev’s real-life style.
3. & 4. Buffy Summers & Cordelia Chase, (Sarah Michelle Gellar & Charisma Carpenter), Buffy the Vampire Slayer
On this episode, Buffy and her high school nemesis, Cordelia Chase, compete for the title of Homecoming Queen. While both girls are equally beautiful, it’s no surprise they have equally pretty dresses. The voluptuous Chase stuns in a silky hunter green halter gown, which is very fitting for her beautiful figure, while the athletic Buffy sports a bright red, spaghetti-strapped gown. Both fiery and trendy, this California girl always knows how to make a statement. (Now, both of the long dresses look very 1990s, but we still love them!) The dueling duo end up fighting for their lives, when Cordelia is mistaken for another vampire slayer (hence the beat-up look below!) By the time the girls make it to the Sunnydale Homecoming Dance, the winners for Queen end up tied – but it’s the other two nominees for the crown who win! Oh, well! At least Cordy and Buffy are alive! 😉
5. Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale), Pretty Little Liars “Lions and Tigers and Bitches, Oh My! There’s no place like homecoming.” This popular tween show certainly has its bite, and Aria Montgomery’s dress is anything but sweet! This matte sequin dress from bebe has studded shoulders, black lace and chains hanging off it – ideal for your little tough (or mean) girl! Definitely a modern take and lots of fun!
6. Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola), The Vampire Diaries There’s a reason the strong-willed Caroline continues to reign queen supreme as Miss Mystic Falls – because she perfects everything she sets her mind to, just like her mother, the tough-as-nails Sheriff, does! One area where she never fails to shine in is style! Here, she looks meticulous and beautifully put together in her magenta satin cocktail dress. You could almost be her twin in this satin number, if you order it in burgundy!
7. Lois Lane (Erica Durance), SmallvilleIt’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s a Homecoming King? Although we generally picture Lois Lane in pencil skirts, smart blouses and high heels, we forget that she must have been an adolescent at one point, too. In Smallville, Lois (played by Erica Durance) is crowned Homecoming Queen to (who else) Clark Kent as King, when they return for their high school’s five-year reunion (even though Lois only attended Smallville High for a whopping five days, she seems overly concerned no one remembers her…) Although Superman looks extremely uncomfortable in the role, Miss Lane looks adorable and right at home being crowned Queen in her bright yellow halter dress. Want a prettier version? Here’s a stunning improvement on this frock in daffodil that will make any girl feel just like superwoman.
8. Hanna Marin (Ashley Benson), Pretty Little Liars On the first season of the ABC Family hit, Pretty Little Liars, four girlfriends try to figure out what happened to their best friend, Alison, and who keeps torturing them, by threatening to reveal their deepest secrets (via text, no less). Former fat girl Hanna Marin (played by cutie Ashley Benson) is the sweetest of the group, and after losing all her weight, becomes popular overnight. On “The Homecoming Hangover,” Hanna wears a high-minded piece of fashion by Sue Wong that could easily be seen on a young Carrie Bradshaw – no wonder she’s crowned Queen! The appropriate use of small ostrich feathers and sequins certainly takes a homecoming dress to the next level. If you love this look, try this sweetheart, A-line short mini!
We had to throw a retro look in here, and what screams “old-fashioned” more than Donna Reed?! Her television daughter, Mary Stone, played by Shelley Fabares, was the epitome of a 1950s girl in this tea-length homecoming dress (with a college boy!). Since the show is in black and white, we’re just assuming the dress is white, or at least a pale pastel, but the frock’s real focal point is the beautiful silk caplet attached to Mary’s thin straps. This episode aired 54 years ago, but we’d still rock this adorable number today!
10. Naomi Clark (AnnaLynne McCord), 90210 See, most of the teenage shows on television when we were growing up were during the mid-1990s, so classics like the original 90210 or Saved by the Bell all feature homecoming dances, but the clothes aren’t nearly as good-looking as today’s tween shows. While gowns used to be the go-to, many of today’s teenagers are opting for shorter looks, and Naomi’s simple ruffled, scoop-neck mini is the perfect modern choice for Homecoming. And everyone knows that a little black dress never goes out of style! Here’s hoping you find just the right dress this homecoming season!
Blake Lively played the most low-maintenance girl of the “Gossip girls,” so her style was more laid-back than her fellow classmates. Here she is as Serena van der Woodsen on the first episode of the series, returning to her prep school in Manhattan after mysteriously disappearing the year before. She’s wearing her uniform of a blue and green plaid skirt, a matching loose tie, an untucked white button-down shirt, a black cardigan and tights, with red knee socks and black leather boots. While eating her yogurt on the steps of the Met, she gets dissed by her former bestie, Blair Waldorf, who doesn’t invite her to the ball she’s throwing, as she’s threatened that Serena will resume her role as the school’s queen bee, and she will be dethroned!
This is probably the most iconic schoolgirl uniform of our “Back-to-School Week,” at least from our generation, and it’s 16-year-old Britney Spears in her 1998 music video, “Hit Me, Baby One More Time.” The young and fresh-faced southerner sported a black miniskirt, a cranberry crop-top, white button-down blouse, a gray cardigan with matching knee socks, and some pink pom-poms for her hair. The video’s director, Nigel Dick, originally had the idea to have Spears dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but it was Britney’s idea to change the costume to a schoolgirl look. He told MTV in 2009, “Every piece of wardrobe in the video came from Kmart, and I was told at the time not one piece of clothing in the video cost more than $17. On that level, it’s real. That probably, in retrospect, is a part of its charm.”
Since it’s “Back-to-School Week” here at theSkinnyStiletto, what better shoe to feature than a plaid Mary Jane heel? It combines everything that reminds us of going back to school in the crisp weather as a young schoolgirl. This particular shoe is actually called the “Red Plaid Rockabilly Pin Up Mary Jane Heel School Girl,” and was featured on the site Uturn Utopia for only $44.99. Unfortunately, it’s sold-out on that site, but we’ve multiple sellers featuring them on eBay when we searched “red plaid heels.” They are so cute!
Carey Mulligan plays Jenny Mellor in the 2009 drama, An Education, about a schoolgirl who grows up too fast in a London suburb during the 1960s. Here, Jenny wears her school uniform in a couple of different scenes throughout the movie, sporting a gray A-line skirt, a cranberry-colored belt, a white-button down blouse, a matching diagonally striped tie, with both a gray pullover, and a crested school coat with a coordinated scarf. The color combo of gray and burgundy is always one of our favorite classic pairings for fall. Jenny dons some other adorable vintage looks in the film, like floral, gold, leopard, and even a watercolor frock that we just adore. But Mulligan apparently didn’t love her outfits as much as we did… She told Today, “I had to work my way into liking the costumes… I was less keen on the school uniforms.” Kate Scheyer, of Vanity Fair, pointed out that the film’s designer, Odile Dicks-Mireaux, created an arc of costumes to tell Jenny’s story of a teen that matures quickly by hanging out with an older crowd, beginning with the rain-soaked schoolgirl (pictured, bottom right) that her suitor meets on the street… Basically a classic pedophile pickup, but it’s also a true story!
Okay, we promise this whole week won’t be a love letter to Gossip Girl, but there is no better-dressed pair of private school students than Blair Waldorf & Serena van der Woodsen. For “Back-to-School Week,” we’re counting down the best private school uniforms, and these two never disappoint. There’s a bevy of different ways these girls wore their Constance Billard clothes throughout the teen hit, but this look best illustrates the girls’ different styles. Blair (Leighton Meester) is always dressed like a lady – she loves the classics and never has a hair out of place, while Serena (Blake Lively) is more of a free spirit and casually sexy. We actually forgot, but we featured this look before in April 2011, making this the 1st time we’ve repeated a Look-of-the-Day! Blair is sporting her usual everyday look – a crisp, white button-down blouse, navy skirt and matching girly tie, but is also wearing a belted light blue princess coat, delicate black leather gloves and a silk head scarf. She looks right out of 1950s high society. Serena, on the other hand, is wearing a more up-to-date look of a cream cable-knit sweater, a camel-colored Roberto Cavalli leather jacket, suede boots, and a plaid skirt with a matching tie. The loose hair, and not-perfectly-tied tie are indications that Miss van der Woodsen is always a little more laid back than her best friend (and very similar to Blake Lively’s real-life style!)
It’s “Back-to-School Week” here at theSkinnyStiletto! Summer unfortunately is coming to an end, but that means fashion’s favorite season is here – fall! Cozy sweaters, plaid skirts, soft scarves, high boots, warm coats and leaves changing! Our editors are no longer in school, and it’s strange to say, but we miss back-to-school shopping and the prospect of starting anew each year. (We think the Jewish have the right idea celebrating their new year during September!) This week, we’re featuring our favorite private school looks from film, and today’s “Look-of-the-Day” is none other than Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl. Leighton Meester embodied the character of Blair so well, it’s as if her literary self jumped off the page and into this Balenciaga blazer onscreen. In Season 1 of show, she donned this adorable look on the episode Victor, Victola. She combined the yellow and blue piped gray boyfriend blazer (complete with a crest on the pocket), a capped-sleeve pinstriped blouse with lace detailing on the bust, white patterned tights, a navy skirt and tie, and topped it off with a red bowed headband. Blair looks impeccable as she talks to her bestie, Serena (Blake Lively), who also looks cute in her gray argyle sweater. Autumn looks great on these two BFFs!