This editor usually always dons a pair of sparkly pumps for New Year’s Eve, but that is probably a little overdone for December 31st. We think a pair of tuxedo-inspired pumps would be a unique twist on a classic standby. Oddly enough, we found this “Wednesday’s Shoe,” labeled “Black & White Tuxedo Classic Pumps/Wednesday Shoes” on the site Uturn Utopia. Wednesday, as in Wednesday Addams? Possibly, or maybe just an odd coincidence! Either way, it works! A few years ago, this editor sported a tuxedo cocktail dress for the holiday, and while these would probably be too “matchy-matchy,” they would look adorable with any black or white getup! The four inch heels retail for $44.99.
Happy New Year! Our editors’ mother came up with the perfect pink dress for New Year’s Day that falls on a “Pink Wednesday” – Kaley Cuoco’s petal pink wedding gown from last night! The Big Bang Theory star wed boyfriend Ryan Sweeting in a New Year’s Eve party/wedding on December 31st. The Vera Wang creation made her a blushing bride in more ways than one. The strapless tulle ballgown had a sweetheart neckline, with hand appliqué Chantilly lace accents. Cuoco also wore a veil by Wang, which was nude tulle, also with petal-pink floating hand appliqué Chantilly lace. The bridesmaids wore various styled black dresses, making a beautiful & unique looking wedding party. Happy New Year to you all & congrats to the happy couple!! <3
This “Wednesday’s Shoe” actually falls on Christmas Day, and we thought these heels certainly epitomize “jingle bell ROCK!” The red velvet pumps are from British designer Charlotte Olympia, whose adorable holly-inspired heels we featured last holiday season (it’s also very fitting, because our editors spent the last two Christmases in Olympia, Washington!) The Jingle Bell Dolly platform pumps originally cost £625. They’d be stunning with a holiday cocktail dress, or help turn you into one sexy Mrs. Claus.
Merry Christmas! It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and it also happens to be “Pink Wednesday!” We’ve found it hard in the past to come up with pink outfits for the holiday season, but while our mom was watching White Christmas earlier this month, we realized there was a perfect rose-colored dress for December 25th! Vera Ellen dances with Danny Kaye in the 1954 film in a stunning pale pink chiffon frock. The dress has sequined details, really cute matching shoes, but the full skirt is just perfect for dance number she performs, which reminded us of Liesl’s famous dress in The Sound of Music. It’s no surprise here, the lovely outfit was created by famous 20th century costume designer, Edith Head. Another blogger whose site is called Ip & Audrey put it perfectly when she said Ellen looks “like a cream-puffed sugar plum fairy!” Here’s hoping you have a wonderful Christmas! <3
Our editors usually kind of forget about the Emmy Awards – it’s not grouped around the other popular red carpet events of the year, and it’s usually at the start of fall, so we never really sit down to watch them. Last year, we definitely didn’t pay attention, because we didn’t even write a 2012 Emmy Rundown of great gowns! But with Netflix, and cable networks developing all sorts of fantastic shows (be gone “reality” TV!), it is fun to see our favorite small screen stars get dressed up and rewarded for their hard work. Some of the best actresses on television also happened to be the best-dressed this year! The winner for Best Supporting Actress was Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad (pictured, top right) who wore a stunning two-toned, black lace Romona Keveza gown. Her character, Skyler White, is probably one of the most-hated women on TV, which we would deem unfair… She was definitely annoying, but her husband was the actual criminal! (And a lot of the hatred is actually aimed at the actress, which is just flat-out weird.) Another series we caught up with on Netflix was New Girl, which I definitely didn’t give a shot when it originally aired. Zooey Deschanel is the multi-talented star at its helm, with a bevy of terrific supporting actors. The actress sported an ice blue column gown by J. Mendel, which match those famous eyes of hers (much like her entire wardrobe in 500 Days of Summer.) Cobie Smulders (pictured, above left), the Canadian cutie from How I Met Your Mother, sported a slim, ballerina pink J. Mendel gown, as well, while Kaley Cuoco (pictured, above right) from The Big Bang Theory surprised everyone when she went against her usual casual look, and donned a very glamorous burgundy gown by Vera Wang. Kerry Washington (pictured, below), one of the best-dressed stars in Hollywood was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress for her role as Olivia Pope on Scandal (who also dresses amazingly). She didn’t disappoint in a gold and white Marchesa gown that very few could pull off, considering the amount of flower appliques on it, but her makeup and hair were flawless, as always, and her beautiful complexion looked stunning against the pale hue of the dress. Nobody else really compared to these lovely ladies!
Our favorite German girl was completely glamorous at the Metropolitan Opera for the premiere of Eugene Onegin. Diane Kruger sported a color-blocked gown from Prabal Gurung from his 2014 Resort Collection to the New York City event. The stark contrast of black, white and red (which photographs dark pink in most pictures) looked stunning on the internationally adored beauty. She accessorized with Prabal Gurung for Chris Habana jewelry, as well, and a pair of beautiful white pumps. Pure sophistication and class.
Who better to complete “Back-to-School Week,” than the reigning queen B of making school clothing look so good? It’s Blair Waldorf again, sporting an adorable navy blue pencil skirt, white silk blouse, and a matching short tie, complete with a pearl tie tack. Her accessories are what really make the outfit pop – a red belted headband (of course, it’s Blair, after all) with a matching bag, red and white slingbacks, a silk scarf and a layered pearl bracelet. Her true love, Chuck Bass, certainly is her complement in an all-American colored blazer and tie, too. These two certainly make us excited for going back to school!
While we’ve featured different school uniforms from TV and film for “Back-to-School Week,” Hogwarts is probably the most exciting and magical (obviously) of the private schools we’d like to go to! Here is Emma Watson as beloved literary character, Hermione Granger, in her Hogwarts gear. She and her two best friends, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, attend the wizard academy from the ages 11 to 18. Since all three are members of the Gryffindor House, their gray uniforms tend to be punched up by their house’s colors – crimson and gold. Over the years, Hermione goes from an adorable, frizzy-haired bookworm to a stunning, smart wizard, all while wearing various gray skirts (usually accordion), gray pullovers and cardigans piped with red and gold, white button-down blouses, Gryffindor-crested black cloaks, and red & gold ties and scarves that top off every outfit (that we were dying to buy as preteens). Costume designer Judianna Makovsky was nominated for an Academy Award for her work on the first film, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, while fellow Oscar-winning designer Lindy Hemming costumed the second film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The following six other Harry Potter films were outfitted by Jany Temime. You can see Hermione’s complete transformation on In Style‘s website. We love the curly-haired heroine so much, we actually wish the books had featured her as the star of the whole series!
Since it’s “Back-to-School Week” here at theSkinnyStiletto, we’re teaming up with DressFirst.com to bring you TV’s 10 Best Homecoming Dresses on this “Fancy Friday,” and how you can find your own similar version!
1. Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell), Veronica Mars While Veronica is usually busy solving cases rather than involving herself in regular high school activities, both aspects of her life collide in this episode. The precocious pint-size blonde looks adorable in her strapless scarlet cocktail dress, while she’s having a flashback to the previous year’s homecoming. Veronica decided to skip skinny dipping with her best friend, Lilly, who has since mysteriously died. You can have your own deep red dress adorned with a similar flower ruffle at the waist with this sweetheart sheath.
2. Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), The Vampire Diaries This show’s leading lady, Elena Gilbert, played by Nina Dobrev, stuns in anything she puts on. For her everyday look, the costumers dress her like an average teen in skinny jeans, black boots, and light-knit Henley tees, but when they decide to have a ball, they pull out all of the stops to show off her true beauty! Here, she sported a layered ruffled, gunmetal grey cocktail dress by Dalia MacPhee, a black pea coat, and nude pumps. It’s both edgy and sophisticated, just like Dobrev’s real-life style.
3. & 4. Buffy Summers & Cordelia Chase, (Sarah Michelle Gellar & Charisma Carpenter), Buffy the Vampire Slayer
On this episode, Buffy and her high school nemesis, Cordelia Chase, compete for the title of Homecoming Queen. While both girls are equally beautiful, it’s no surprise they have equally pretty dresses. The voluptuous Chase stuns in a silky hunter green halter gown, which is very fitting for her beautiful figure, while the athletic Buffy sports a bright red, spaghetti-strapped gown. Both fiery and trendy, this California girl always knows how to make a statement. (Now, both of the long dresses look very 1990s, but we still love them!) The dueling duo end up fighting for their lives, when Cordelia is mistaken for another vampire slayer (hence the beat-up look below!) By the time the girls make it to the Sunnydale Homecoming Dance, the winners for Queen end up tied – but it’s the other two nominees for the crown who win! Oh, well! At least Cordy and Buffy are alive!
5. Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale), Pretty Little Liars “Lions and Tigers and Bitches, Oh My! There’s no place like homecoming.” This popular tween show certainly has its bite, and Aria Montgomery’s dress is anything but sweet! This matte sequin dress from bebe has studded shoulders, black lace and chains hanging off it – ideal for your little tough (or mean) girl! Definitely a modern take and lots of fun!
6. Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola), The Vampire Diaries There’s a reason the strong-willed Caroline continues to reign queen supreme as Miss Mystic Falls – because she perfects everything she sets her mind to, just like her mother, the tough-as-nails Sheriff, does! One area where she never fails to shine in is style! Here, she looks meticulous and beautifully put together in her magenta satin cocktail dress. You could almost be her twin in this satin number, if you order it in burgundy!
7. Lois Lane (Erica Durance), SmallvilleIt’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s a Homecoming King? Although we generally picture Lois Lane in pencil skirts, smart blouses and high heels, we forget that she must have been an adolescent at one point, too. In Smallville, Lois (played by Erica Durance) is crowned Homecoming Queen to (who else) Clark Kent as King, when they return for their high school’s five-year reunion (even though Lois only attended Smallville High for a whopping five days, she seems overly concerned no one remembers her…) Although Superman looks extremely uncomfortable in the role, Miss Lane looks adorable and right at home being crowned Queen in her bright yellow halter dress. Want a prettier version? Here’s a stunning improvement on this frock in daffodil that will make any girl feel just like superwoman.
8. Hanna Marin (Ashley Benson), Pretty Little Liars On the first season of the ABC Family hit, Pretty Little Liars, four girlfriends try to figure out what happened to their best friend, Alison, and who keeps torturing them, by threatening to reveal their deepest secrets (via text, no less). Former fat girl Hanna Marin (played by cutie Ashley Benson) is the sweetest of the group, and after losing all her weight, becomes popular overnight. On “The Homecoming Hangover,” Hanna wears a high-minded piece of fashion by Sue Wong that could easily be seen on a young Carrie Bradshaw – no wonder she’s crowned Queen! The appropriate use of small ostrich feathers and sequins certainly takes a homecoming dress to the next level. If you love this look, try this sweetheart, A-line short mini!
We had to throw a retro look in here, and what screams “old-fashioned” more than Donna Reed?! Her television daughter, Mary Stone, played by Shelley Fabares, was the epitome of a 1950s girl in this tea-length homecoming dress (with a college boy!). Since the show is in black and white, we’re just assuming the dress is white, or at least a pale pastel, but the frock’s real focal point is the beautiful silk caplet attached to Mary’s thin straps. This episode aired 54 years ago, but we’d still rock this adorable number today!
10. Naomi Clark (AnnaLynne McCord), 90210 See, most of the teenage shows on television when we were growing up were during the mid-1990s, so classics like the original 90210 or Saved by the Bell all feature homecoming dances, but the clothes aren’t nearly as good-looking as today’s tween shows. While gowns used to be the go-to, many of today’s teenagers are opting for shorter looks, and Naomi’s simple ruffled, scoop-neck mini is the perfect modern choice for Homecoming. And everyone knows that a little black dress never goes out of style! Here’s hoping you find just the right dress this homecoming season!
Blake Lively played the most low-maintenance girl of the “Gossip girls,” so her style was more laid-back than her fellow classmates. Here she is as Serena van der Woodsen on the first episode of the series, returning to her prep school in Manhattan after mysteriously disappearing the year before. She’s wearing her uniform of a blue and green plaid skirt, a matching loose tie, an untucked white button-down shirt, a black cardigan and tights, with red knee socks and black leather boots. While eating her yogurt on the steps of the Met, she gets dissed by her former bestie, Blair Waldorf, who doesn’t invite her to the ball she’s throwing, as she’s threatened that Serena will resume her role as the school’s queen bee, and she will be dethroned!