Since it’s “Back-to-School Week” here at theSkinnyStiletto, we’re teaming up with DressFirst.com to bring you TV’s 10 Best Homecoming Dresses on this “Fancy Friday,” and how you can find your own similar version!
1. Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell), Veronica Mars While Veronica is usually busy solving cases rather than involving herself in regular high school activities, both aspects of her life collide in this episode. The precocious pint-size blonde looks adorable in her strapless scarlet cocktail dress, while she’s having a flashback to the previous year’s homecoming. Veronica decided to skip skinny dipping with her best friend, Lilly, who has since mysteriously died. You can have your own deep red dress adorned with a similar flower ruffle at the waist with this sweetheart sheath.
2. Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), The Vampire Diaries This show’s leading lady, Elena Gilbert, played by Nina Dobrev, stuns in anything she puts on. For her everyday look, the costumers dress her like an average teen in skinny jeans, black boots, and light-knit Henley tees, but when they decide to have a ball, they pull out all of the stops to show off her true beauty! Here, she sported a layered ruffled, gunmetal grey cocktail dress by Dalia MacPhee, a black pea coat, and nude pumps. It’s both edgy and sophisticated, just like Dobrev’s real-life style.
3. & 4. Buffy Summers & Cordelia Chase, (Sarah Michelle Gellar & Charisma Carpenter), Buffy the Vampire Slayer
On this episode, Buffy and her high school nemesis, Cordelia Chase, compete for the title of Homecoming Queen. While both girls are equally beautiful, it’s no surprise they have equally pretty dresses. The voluptuous Chase stuns in a silky hunter green halter gown, which is very fitting for her beautiful figure, while the athletic Buffy sports a bright red, spaghetti-strapped gown. Both fiery and trendy, this California girl always knows how to make a statement. (Now, both of the long dresses look very 1990s, but we still love them!) The dueling duo end up fighting for their lives, when Cordelia is mistaken for another vampire slayer (hence the beat-up look below!) By the time the girls make it to the Sunnydale Homecoming Dance, the winners for Queen end up tied – but it’s the other two nominees for the crown who win! Oh, well! At least Cordy and Buffy are alive! 😉
5. Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale), Pretty Little Liars “Lions and Tigers and Bitches, Oh My! There’s no place like homecoming.” This popular tween show certainly has its bite, and Aria Montgomery’s dress is anything but sweet! This matte sequin dress from bebe has studded shoulders, black lace and chains hanging off it – ideal for your little tough (or mean) girl! Definitely a modern take and lots of fun!
6. Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola), The Vampire Diaries There’s a reason the strong-willed Caroline continues to reign queen supreme as Miss Mystic Falls – because she perfects everything she sets her mind to, just like her mother, the tough-as-nails Sheriff, does! One area where she never fails to shine in is style! Here, she looks meticulous and beautifully put together in her magenta satin cocktail dress. You could almost be her twin in this satin number, if you order it in burgundy!
7. Lois Lane (Erica Durance), SmallvilleIt’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s a Homecoming King? Although we generally picture Lois Lane in pencil skirts, smart blouses and high heels, we forget that she must have been an adolescent at one point, too. In Smallville, Lois (played by Erica Durance) is crowned Homecoming Queen to (who else) Clark Kent as King, when they return for their high school’s five-year reunion (even though Lois only attended Smallville High for a whopping five days, she seems overly concerned no one remembers her…) Although Superman looks extremely uncomfortable in the role, Miss Lane looks adorable and right at home being crowned Queen in her bright yellow halter dress. Want a prettier version? Here’s a stunning improvement on this frock in daffodil that will make any girl feel just like superwoman.
8. Hanna Marin (Ashley Benson), Pretty Little Liars On the first season of the ABC Family hit, Pretty Little Liars, four girlfriends try to figure out what happened to their best friend, Alison, and who keeps torturing them, by threatening to reveal their deepest secrets (via text, no less). Former fat girl Hanna Marin (played by cutie Ashley Benson) is the sweetest of the group, and after losing all her weight, becomes popular overnight. On “The Homecoming Hangover,” Hanna wears a high-minded piece of fashion by Sue Wong that could easily be seen on a young Carrie Bradshaw – no wonder she’s crowned Queen! The appropriate use of small ostrich feathers and sequins certainly takes a homecoming dress to the next level. If you love this look, try this sweetheart, A-line short mini!
We had to throw a retro look in here, and what screams “old-fashioned” more than Donna Reed?! Her television daughter, Mary Stone, played by Shelley Fabares, was the epitome of a 1950s girl in this tea-length homecoming dress (with a college boy!). Since the show is in black and white, we’re just assuming the dress is white, or at least a pale pastel, but the frock’s real focal point is the beautiful silk caplet attached to Mary’s thin straps. This episode aired 54 years ago, but we’d still rock this adorable number today!
10. Naomi Clark (AnnaLynne McCord), 90210 See, most of the teenage shows on television when we were growing up were during the mid-1990s, so classics like the original 90210 or Saved by the Bell all feature homecoming dances, but the clothes aren’t nearly as good-looking as today’s tween shows. While gowns used to be the go-to, many of today’s teenagers are opting for shorter looks, and Naomi’s simple ruffled, scoop-neck mini is the perfect modern choice for Homecoming. And everyone knows that a little black dress never goes out of style! Here’s hoping you find just the right dress this homecoming season!